* The Weekly Image Thread 22 07 29 #705 *

Started 5 months ago | Photos thread
Rich Z
Rich Z Forum Pro • Posts: 16,362
Re: Guzzi etc.

I had a Guzzi 750 Ambassador, then a 850 Eldorado, then a V7 Sport. I worked for the Los Angeles Police Dept. on their motorcycles after they got Guzzis in the early 70s. The motor officers did not like the hard 18 inch rear tire on the Guzzis and I made a good living modifying the police Guzzis to take a 16 inch rear tire like the Harleys had. I would re lace the wheels to the smaller rim and that didn't come cheap as very few shops laced and trued spoke wheels. The L.A.P.D. officers loved the Guzzis because they were comfortable, fast, and could go around corners like a Harley cannot. Then in 1973 there was a long and protracted dock strike in Genoa. Guzzi could not ship out anything. No new bikes here, but more importantly, no parts. The L.A.P.D. couldn't get parts to service their bikes and dumped all their Guzzis and bought Kawasakis. That lasted over a year and Moto Guzzi lost favor with civilian buyers, too. Resale value on used Guzzis plummeted, mine lost much of its value. Moto Guzzi have never recovered here in The U.S. I finally bought a new BMW R100 in 1978 and I still have it. BMW U.S. offered a deal, $3995. including Luftmeister fairing and Krauser bags, and I got the dealer to throw in a pair of crash bars.

Here is an interesting read. Rich

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto_Guzzi_V8

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow