* The Weekly Image Thread 22 07 29 #705 *

Started 5 months ago | Photos thread
R Liewenberger Senior Member • Posts: 1,765
Guzzi etc.

Rich Z wrote:

I stopped at a red light on my new Moto Guzzi 850 touring bike and put both feet into a huge puddle of ATF and fell over. The Guzzi was light at 450 pounds, but I could not get a foothold to pick it up for a few tries. It had curved crash bars to protect the protruding cylinders so only scratches on one bar. Harleys have very narrow engines so when you drop one it lays flat and is really a gut buster to get one back up.

With my older BMWs (the 2-cylinder R-line) it was a little easier, they dropped in kind of two stages: Step one was down on one of the cylinder heads of the flat twin, left or right hand side, both wheels still touching the ground; only step two was all the way down, handle bar/rear view mirror and cylinder head touching the ground, wheels no longer in contact with the ground.

That way, getting them back up again was easier than something with a narrow engine, as in the worst case scenario you could do it in two steps.

Once BMW had introduced the more narrow engine 4-cylinder K-line in 1983, after sixty years of flat twins, there was no longer a difference in getting it back up, just as bad now as most of the other bikes. Just good I had learnt my lessons by then; none of my 4-cylinders ever landed flat on the ground!

These crash bars: I also had them on most of my 2-cylinders, mainly for the looks, as well as on my first 'naked' K 100, but no longer on the last one (K100 RT) with its nice big fairing. Not so nice about these bars: Sometimes they did protect the engine but caused damage to the frame instead, what could be very expensive!

Guzzi 850: An Ex used to have one, back in 1985, the 850 T5.

Was yours the same model?

Hers also had these Guzzi crash bars, as you can see in the next picture, a scan from an old print from 1985. That silver color 1984 BMW was my very first 4-cylinder K 100. Some extras were the broader/higher handle bar, the high windshield, the two additional headlamps, crash bars and the luggage boxes:

With their 1986 model, Guzzi offered a tiny little (but pretty effective!) wind shield/deflector, which my Ex really wanted to have.

As we couldn't find it on a Saturday morning shopping trip to a German Guzzi dealer in the Black Forest region, who was supposed to have it, we decided to spend the rest of that weekend in southern Alsace/France. Then on Monday morning we decided to drive down all the way through Switzerland to Mandello del Lario at the Lago di Como in northern Italy, where we bought it at the Guzzi factory there. What began as a one-day shopping trip ended as a wonderful ad-hoc holiday week, the last couple days in a little hotel near Merano/Tyrol.

A happy Guzzi T 5 owner (another scan from a not so great old print that starts turning yellowish):

She never really liked that brownish color of her Guzzi, so in 1986 that color was changed to 'Perlmutt-Weiß-Metallic', white with an interesting looking metallic mother of pearl effect. Now the Guzzi became the 'Perlmuzzi'.

Btw, this 'z' or 'zz' in 'Guzzi' is not pronounced the English way in German or Italian, but like 'ts', 'Goottsy'.

Thanks Rich for posting that Yamaha 'Star' picture!

I always thought I am actually quite well informed when it comes to bikes, but that Yamaha built such a shameless Harley replica/clone was new to me!

Liewenberger

Aug 2, 06:05 GMT

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow