Tamron 31A (200-500 5.6) vs Pentax 150-450 4.5-5.6

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
PentUp
PentUp Veteran Member • Posts: 3,979
Re: Tamron 31A (200-500 5.6) vs Pentax 150-450 4.5-5.6

gkreth wrote:

I guess I should walk around some of the local parks with my current 50-500, and see after an hour if I really want to take a 50-500 on vacation... LOL!

LOL! ... I doubt you will want to ... I love my 50-500mm DG OS HSM... but it's not my standard holiday or walking around lens! It is specifically only my wildlife lens, and then only for shooting wildlife from a vehicle in daylight.

In Zambia I also do night game drives (which are permitted in Zambian national parks), and for that a 70-200 f/2.8 is the best tool for the job. In Zambia I also do walking safaris (photography on foot with a guide and armed ranger), I always use my DA 18-270 for that or sometimes a Sigma 18-300. Walking safaris are more about the small things that you don't notice from a vehicle, but you can and do walk into big game as well. While most African wildlife is comfortable letting vehicles approach fairly close, most are not as comfortable with humans on foot. So, birds and prey species tend to keep their distance, and prudent walkers keep their distance from dangerous game. Thus, light superzooms like the DA 18-270 SDM are great lenses for this.

Greg

PentUp's gear list:PentUp's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-50 Pentax K-3 Mark III +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow