Stitching for a larger effective capture size.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
JonesLongShot Regular Member • Posts: 330
Re: My Vertex has arrived!

Michael Floyd wrote:

Hi Jones, Thank you, yes! That is exactly the kind of thing I'm thinking about.

How did you find the frosted acrylic? You say 'not as bright or fine as a real focus screen', does that mean still adequate for checking composition? How about outside? I take it you didn't upgrade to ground glass, was that an availability/expense issue or just didn't feel the need?

Thanks for the offer of help and links for laser cutting. I will just make mine up by hand, I can do that to the required accuracy no problems. ( and I daresay much more quickly that I can model one up in CAD. Lol.)

Michael,

I purchased a lot of different laserable materials from glowforge.com. The frosted acrylic was just one of the materials they have available. It is frosted on one side. This is the specific material I used.

https://shop.glowforge.com/collections/acrylic/products/frosted-acrylic-cast-translucent-glossy

Real focusing screens are brighter and the texture is finer. This is perfectly adequate for composition. I didn't feel the need for ground glass. In fact I don't think the ground glass on my Horseman or my Sinar was radically better. I know there are super high quality (way more expensive) screens out there but I would say compose with the "ground glass"/Acrylic and focus with your viewfinder. It's going to be much more accurate than a ground glass.

Jones

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow