Dust, scratches, and other pitas

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Joe Moche Regular Member • Posts: 188
Dust, scratches, and other pitas

I used to have a home darkroom, in which I created lots and lots of prints up to 16x20.  It was built from particle board as a free-standing unit inside my garage.  Needless to say, it was not the cleanest of environments.

Just before COVID, I enrolled in a photo class at a local community college, primarily as a way to get access to a darkroom and do some film shooting again.  To make a long story short, I have yet to get a decent wet print because my negatives are dusty, scratched, or both.  Ultimately, I end up scanning them, spotting out the dust and scratches in photoshop, and then printing them on an inkjet.  I've made a few 8x10ish digital negatives and tried contact printing them in the darkroom, but the results have not been acceptable to me.

My negs hang to dry in a pretty dust-free environment.  I use a rocket blaster and, sometimes, some PEC12 using a PEC Pad.  Are my 40 year old memories of decent wet prints blurred by time?  Are my standards higher now?  I'd love to hear from others who have recently tried or are using a darkroom for wet prints.

-- hide signature --

Joe

Joe Moche's gear list:Joe Moche's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100S +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow