4K monitor (BenQ) and scaling with MBP

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fishguy Regular Member • Posts: 452
4K monitor (BenQ) and scaling with MBP

Hi,

I just replaced a 10 year old MBP and would like to upgrade my monitor as well.  However, I'm confused on the monitor scaling issue with Macs. I understand that either the text is very small at highest resolution or one can lower the resolution for text but then you are not using the full features of the monitor that you paid for. I don't know if I have this right or not. One question I have is if I go for the Apple studio display, why would the text not be even smaller (5K) than on a 4k display?

I'm leaning towards trying the BenQ PD2725U, but I must purchase any monitor sight unseen. The whole stand issue with the studio display really irks me and I think the BenQ should be an acceptable alternative. It would be great to hear from those that use 4K monitors and particularly BenQ with a MBP to get their take. Is the whole scaling at 4K issue overblown or something I should consider? I think in all other respects I would be very happy with the BenQ. Now, if the studio display came with a stand similar to BenQs, at the $1500 price point, I would likely just go that direction.

The majority of my use is for amateur photography and general computing.

Thanks for any input or advice!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow