***This week with your a7x/a9x/a1, July 30th - Aug 5th, 2022***

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
VisionLight
VisionLight Veteran Member • Posts: 6,197
One week, only one lens, the FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G

From time to time, I choose to concentrate on photographing with only one lens for a week or so. It not only makes life simple, but also gives a chance to re-acquaint myself with the lens' character and use, fine tuning my technique. Yes, sometimes one does miss some photo opportunities better caught with other focal lengths, but that's OK, those opportunities will reappear again. The lens this past week was the FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS and here are some examples from a single afternoon around Westmoreland Sanctuary:

Damselflies gather to pay their respects at a wake on Bechtel Lake.

The classic heart shaped pose of damselflies mating. I did have an angle that clearly showed the actual eggs in the female's Ovipositor, but single frame DOF made all other details much too soft at this magnification. I'll have to continue to work on that, if I can get the damsels to sit still long enough.

An Emerald Damsel was kind enough to pose while keeping his wings extended in flight position.

The biggest success in capturing these images was not falling headfirst into the lake. I had to knell at the shoreline and bend all the way down to get close enough for these magnifications. I had to stop just in time to not find out how water resistant the camera and lens were. 

A couple other insects were easier to capture:

A Hummingbird Clearwing Moth hovered around the Sanctuary gardens  .  .  .

.  .  .  joined by a Silver Spotted Skipper.

Now I have to think about what the next candidate will be for the next "one week, only one lens".

Thanks for looking and comments are always welcome.

-- hide signature --
 VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Samsung NX1 Canon EOS M5 Sony a7R IV Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow