Week in Sayulita, Mexico. Which lenses (of course!)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
surfoxy
surfoxy Contributing Member • Posts: 837
Week in Sayulita, Mexico. Which lenses (of course!)

I'm headed for a week in Sayulita with my family. Couple of teenage girls, my wife (broken foot) and myself. I think what I care about is shooting the place to get a sense of it, more street/travel, and maybe some surfing images. I don't know what the breaks are like there so that part is a little challenging in terms of what lengths I need. My camera and lenses are:

Cameras:

• Sony a9ii
  • Fujifilm X100V

Lenses:

• Sony 16-35 2.8
  • Sony 24-70 2.8 GM ii
  • Sigma 85 1.4 DG DN
  • Sony 70-200 2.8 GM ii
  • Sony 100-400 GM

Part of me thinks just take the X100V and be done with it. I got it for travel, and until/unless I know more about what to shoot down there, it's enough. I've often done short trips with the X100V. If I were going to Paris for a week that's all I'd take, for example.

The other part of me says there will be awesome stuff and you have some great glass, why not use it. Well, carrying it around, having showy white lenses, possible theft or damage, etc. I probably don't need the 85, I have other lenses at that length, but if I don't take the 70-200 or 100-400 it's nice to have that reach and speed. I don't think I'd take it if I take the 70-200. The 24-70 is a great all-rounder, maybe that's enough, but is it enough more than the X100V to warrant bringing it? So much more to carry. I think my best take is:

Options:

1. X100V. Super compact and high quality travel images, limited reach of course. I love a 35 mm prime for so much photography so I don't mind the single focal length except the reach issue.
  2. Sony + 24-70 and 70-200, plus the X100V. Speed and a lot of coverage with 2 great lenses. Bring the Fuji to see how much I really would use it.
  3. Sony + 24-70 and 100-400. Probably need the reach for any decent surfing photos. Not sure if conditions will warrant it, but could really regret not having the reach. Heavier, but not enough to matter I think. 
  4. Your suggestions!

Thanks! I know this has been done a million times but humor me if you're interested.

surfoxy's gear list:surfoxy's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a9 II Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG GN +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow