How many RX10 iv users like BBF

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Kerusker
Kerusker Senior Member • Posts: 1,397
BBF - my RX10 iv how to

Texas hobbyist wrote:

Trying to get accustomed to back button focus and just wondered if very many here use it and like it or if you tried it and chose not to use it.

Just curious.

BBF - Back Button Focusing
FBB - Focusing Back Button

Some tips regarding BBF

• prepare the Camera by sticking bumpers on the following keys: C1, C2, C3, AEL, Movie (f.ex, 3M Bumpon 8mm half-ball). Then your fingers should find these buttons easily
  • Put the menu items 'AF w/ shutter' and 'AEL w/shutter' (marked yellow in Menu-list) into 'My Menu' because this is the only way for personalizing these.
  • Make the 'AEL-Button' to be the FBB: 'Custom Key shoot/2': 'AEL-Button => AF ON'
    In 'My Menu' select 'AF w/ shutter => Off'
  • Turn the 'Focus Mode Dial' to 'C' (continuous) - and leave it there for BBF.
  • Do some exercising to a handle FFB and shutter button simultaneously i.e. press/release the FBB and half-press/release the shutter button in all combinations.

RX10 IV - Menu Items List

Now you are ready for BBF

Advantage: The Camera is (auto) focusing only when the FBB is pressed - so it's easy to start and stop focusing as wanted (no 'Focus hold button' needed to stop focusing).

Additionally you can define custom settings to the 'Focus hold button' and activate this button simultaneously i.e. hold 3 buttons simultaneously for shooting.

If you want to hand over the camera to another person (to take a group photo f.ex.) then you should select P-Mode and set 'AF w/ shutter => On' in 'My Menu' ( and set it back there after).

I've also redefined the 'C1' button to 'AEL toggle' (which frees the 'AEL button' for BBF).

A draw back of BBF is that it's implemented differently on different camera bodies whereas the (usual) shutter button functions are the same on all bodies.

-- hide signature --

][.Kerusker
we don't see that we don't see (eye's blind spot)

Kerusker's gear list:Kerusker's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow