Considering trading it all in for the R7

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gedansky Regular Member • Posts: 285
Considering trading it all in for the R7

i have a Canon RP as my daily driver. I bought it used, last May, to replace my Rebel T6 because the red LED's were fading and I wanted an easier to see AF system. In addition, it is small, lightweight, and easy to carry in a small bag for a variety of "walk around" photography (ie., Street, architecture, cityscapes, landscapes, nature, static animals, the occasional moving animal if it's all I have with me). All its other features, however modest, were just gravy, and I have enjoyed using it immensely.

I have a 7D Mark II as my workhorse/nature/Bird and Wildlife camera. Originally, I bought it to replace the Rebel T6. But, when I realized it was twice the size and nearly twice the weight, I knew I couldn't carry it every day. So, unless I am going out into nature, pulling it quickly to shoot birds in my yard, or shooting the VERY rare semi-pro job, it sits on a shelf for weeks or months, and I carry the RP everywhere.

Now the R7 is out, and here is a chance to have one, do-it-all, camera. Small enough and light enough for every day use, fast and full featured enough when I have the need for speed (like when 2 eagles appeared overhead at a city farmers market and all I had was a Rebel T6 and Sigma 30mm lens).

The sacrifice, of course, is full frame capability in the RP and taking on 126g of extra weight. But, I shot with APS-C only for years and it was never an issue. So, is doing it again, really a problem?   I gain a faster, more accurate, AF, more advanced AI, Digic X processor, IBIS and a bunch of other stuff.

7D MII to R7 is a sacrifice of ruggedness and weather proofing, as well as the buffer, in exchange for a MUCH faster and more advanced AF, a much lighter weight and smaller body, and 32mp over 20mp.

Is "downsizing" from the RP AND the 7D MII to just the R7 a move I would regret or would I really feel like I traded up?
Thanks!

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R7 Canon EOS Rebel T6 (EOS 1300D)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow