Landing is tricky & AF Demonstration

Started 6 months ago | Photos thread
Maple888 Regular Member • Posts: 198
Re: Landing is tricky & AF Demonstration

Morris0 wrote:

This barn swallow was landing into the strong gusty wind on a very hot morning at the Marine Nature Study Area in Oceanside, NY.

If you look closely you will see the branch is out of focus in the first image while the face is sharp. The face remains sharp in every frame while the branch gets sharper as the bird approaches. I'm using Zone focus with a box size of 3. The camera has determined the rate of deacceleration and is tracking the bird as it comes in and staid on it even as it slowed. It ignored the branch as I have my AF-C settings configured to ignore things that momentarily get in the way and I'm using center of zone selection which is 3 dimensional. I stayed on the birds' face as it came in while 1/2 pressing the shutter and fully pressed when I wanted to capture the action. All images are a crop in which the bird's wing span took up about 1/5 of the frame.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

Morris

Hi can I ask what adapter you are using, I have the fringer adapter and have found that it seems to work really well with the Nikon 300pf, thinking maybe I should have got the 500pf instead of the 1500-600.

-- hide signature --
 Maple888's gear list:Maple888's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm X-S10 Nikon Z6 II +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow