Denoise challenge - raw, jpeg, tiff provided

Started Jul 23, 2022 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rightsaidfred
Rightsaidfred Senior Member • Posts: 2,505
Denoise challenge - raw, jpeg, tiff provided

Dear Fujians

I recently went for Neat Image and reported on a denoising experience. Here's my report: Denoising high ISO images // Test: darktable vs Neat Image (Linux user). The discussion went in the direction "Topaz DeNoise AI vs Neat Image." I did a direct comparison and have to say that I am impressed by the result from Topaz (demo version). Neat Image is better for my workflow since I'm on Linux.

Now I am still a novice with Neat Image. I played a bit with its advanced mode, I can produce good results. However, already with the standard procedure, Topaz does a really great job with Pablo's hair IMO. Also with the standard procedure, the background is less noisy with Topaz (a little nervous, though).

I am curious, what do you get with your way of denoising? Just post here please. You're of course free to use whatever software you want.

Please find the following image files in this folder.

• 20220714-Denoise_Test-4641.raf - the raw file
  • 20220714-Denoise_Test-4641_darktable_export.jpg - the darktable export as a jpeg, not sharpened, not denoised
  • 20220714-Denoise_Test-4641_darktable_export.tiff - the darktable export as a 16 bit tiff, not sharpened, not denoised
  • 20220714-Denoise_Test-4641_OOC.jpg - the OOC image, NR set to -4, sharpening set to +1. Although NR was set to -4, there is clearly more noise reduction as compared to the darktable export where I deactivated noise reduction.
  • The folder link is valid four weeks from today.

About the image

• It shows Pablo, one of our dwarf rabbits. He is about two years old. They're allowed to be in the garden during daytime.
  • X-T4
  • XF 50/2, aperture f/4
  • ISO 12800
  • Classic Chrome
  • Focus on Pablo's eye

Neat Image v9.0.2 Samples

My first result with Neat Image. Beginner's mode. I do not like how Pablo's hair came out and the region around the eye, there are clear artifacts. You need to zoom in to recognize those artifacts.

Another try with Neat Image. Maybe almost 'overdone' but I like the hair and the region around the eye much better when zoomed in. Advanced mode, highest quality, noise level raised to 90 % (default = 0 %) , luminance level unchanged (60 %), no sharpening, detail recovery enabled with std settings. I learned when I want to improve Pablo's hair, I need to raise the noise level bar. When I want to have a smoother background, I need to enhance the luminance level but this is in turn detrimental for the rabbit's hair. To optimize both, background and rabbit, I'd need to work with layers which easily gets time consuming. Artifact removal does not change the picture much (it was activated, though). Same with edge smoothing (not activated). Detail recovery has a huge influence. Sharpening was detrimental (produced artifacts) so I did not apply it.

Topaz DeNoise AI v3.7.0 demo version sample

Topaz DeNoise AI demo version, standard procedure, no time invested to play with settings. I like the outcome. Background has very low noise but is a bit restless IMO.

Get - set - go!

Martin

Rightsaidfred's gear list:Rightsaidfred's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm X-T4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow