GH6 HHHS at 400mm plus Topaz Sharpen AI

Started Jul 22, 2022 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Douglas Boyd
Douglas Boyd Contributing Member • Posts: 690
GH6 HHHS at 400mm plus Topaz Sharpen AI

Hi Guys,

I thought I would test the maximum reach of GH6 that I could get using the Panasonic Leica 100-400mm lens using 100MP Hand-Held High Resolution and Topaz AI Sharpen. I chose to examine the details of a navigation light at a distance of 380 feet and also compare to a few other camera/lens combinations. All the photos in this post are run through Topaz Sharpen AI at normal settings.

First here is the scene at 45mm showing a stone bridge with navigation lights just under each arch. Google maps shows the distance to the left arch at 380 feet.

This is the normal 45mm view of the bridge over Lake Jacqueline in Las Vegas. It is a Ligtroom screen capture.

The next is the telescopic view of the left navigation light with GH6 HHHS and PL100-400@400. In this one you can see the filaments of a cobweb:

100% crop of 100MP picture: GH6 HHHS PL100-400@400 1/2000th f8 ISO800 sharpened in Topaz

For comparison I tried the GX9 with Panasonic 45-175 lens at 175mm but uprezzed to 80 MP in Lightroom using the Enhance function and sharpened in Topaz Sharpen:

200% Crop from 80 MP Enhanced picture using GX9 + P45-175@175mm 1/1000th f8 ISO400

The highest magnification I have available in a full frame camera is from Sony A7rIV plus Tamron 70-300mm lens. This was an older A-mount lens so I used the LAEA5 adapter. As an older lens the result is not so as much detail as the M43 cameras even though shot at 61MP. This one was shot later in the day so there is no direct sunlight so not a fully accurate comparison but does not come close to the detail of the M43 photos:

200% crop from 61MP image from Sony A7rIV with Tamron 70-300@300mm 1/800th f5.6 ISO400

The extra reach of the PL100-400 is great in these examples, but the combination with GH6 is heavy at 4 pounds and was difficult to hold steady for focusing compared to the GX9+P45-175 combination at 1.5 pounds which was very steady and easy to carry. I couldn't see much extra detail from the HHHS 100MP photo compared to the 25MP photo, but the 100MP gave Topaz Sharpen more pixels to work with and the final result seemed good.

I did notice that HHHS was extremely easy to use at this focal length, so no reason not to use it for every stationary subject. Not good for moving birds but could be very helpful for stationary birds and landscapes.

I wonder if others on this forum are finding extra detail in extreme cropped HHHS telephoto shots like this?

-- hide signature --
 Douglas Boyd's gear list:Douglas Boyd's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R II Sony a6300 Sony a99 II Panasonic GH5 +58 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow