Some notes on R7 shutter shock

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mit_physicist Forum Member • Posts: 83
Some notes on R7 shutter shock

I finally got an R7 kit today, and after sorting through endless custom button menus I got around to testing some shutter shock conditions. I began with my old 17-55mm 2.8, shooting at a barcode with text from several feet away. At shutter speeds below 1/200, with full mechanical shutter, every frame had just a little bit of blur. More disturbingly, when I switched to EFCS, only the first frame in a given burst was sharp. Lowering the drive speed to H instead of H+ fixed this issue. But raising the shutter speed did not! At up to 1/1000s, the fastest I tested, only the first frame in a burst was sharp.

In other words, at least with this lens, I couldn't get a perfectly sharp shot with MS or EFCS and H+, except at the start of a burst. And, of course, every frame I took with ES was tack sharp. I can only conclude that 1/15 s is not long enough between shutter snaps to totally damp the high frequency vibrations. If I were using this lens to take more practical pictures, I would probably just use H, which gives me around 7.5 fps (74 frames in a 10 second burst).

The catch is that this appears only to be true for this lens. I strapped the camera to the back of my 400mm do ii for the same test, and got perfectly sharp pictures at H+ with EFCS. Perhaps it is asking a little much for the R7 to work perfectly with a 16-year-old lens.

I can add samples later if anyone cares

mit_physicist's gear list:mit_physicist's gear list
Canon EOS 90D Canon EOS R7 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +3 more
Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM Canon EOS R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow