Remarkably capable

Started 5 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jbuzzinco Regular Member • Posts: 363
Remarkably capable

It is remarkable how much technology Canon managed to fit into this camera.  Having an APS-C sensor gives remarkably clean images even in low light with higher ISO.  The lens covers a very useful range covering landscapes, portraits and general street shooting.  The AF speed, tracking and high frame rate make this a very capable sports and action camera in good light.  The lens optics are consistently sharp from one end to the other so there is little need to stop down the aperture unless you want more depth of field.

The viewfinder is incredibly bright and responsive despite its diminutive size.  I like being able to flip the rear screen around so it is off and hidden all the time.  Articulation also makes it good for low level shooting.

Having a hotshoe is awesome.  I used a comparatively massive full size flash on this camera with great results.  This feature alone truly makes it possible for this camera to be a do-it-all solution for many folks.

The G1 X III struggles at the long end of the focal range given the relatively slow f/5.6 aperture.  You won't get dramatic background separation unless your subject is quite close to you.  Battery life is not what I'd hoped for.  Canon should have opted for a bigger battery.  A slight increase in the size of the camera overall would be worth it if battery life could be better.  You need to carry at least one extra battery with you.

Overall I really enjoyed carrying this camera.  Knowing that I have something capable of capturing such rich image quality tucked in my jacket pocket or small daypack means I don't have to worry about missing a shot because I "only have my phone".  I highly recommend the G1 X III to interchangeable lens system users who want something pocket-able that is easy to carry for situations when you cannot or do not want to carry larger gear.

jbuzzinco's gear list:jbuzzinco's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +14 more
Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III
24 megapixels • 3 screen • 24 – 72 mm (3×)
Announced: Oct 16, 2017
jbuzzinco's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
okay
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
okay
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
okay
= community average
Canon G1 X III Canon PowerShot G1 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow