What will it take Nikon Z9 to get into the approved cameras list of NETFLIX?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
skmadapatu
OP skmadapatu Regular Member • Posts: 318
Re: What will it take Nikon Z9 to get into the approved cameras list of NETFLIX?

ajm057 wrote:

Wow! I appreciate your amazing wisdom and in-depth analysis

skmadapatu wrote:

Let me confess my illiteracy in this domain. I wonder if three-year-old 24FPS “Panasonic S1H” or even less than $2K 4/3rd “Panasonic BS1H” can make it, why not Z9?

https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000579527-Cameras-and-Image-Capture#h_01G6KEYFG76GRKVMJS382H5638

It looks like my Z9 stupid illusions seem unrealistic (at least with NETFLIX)

Saji

Only 2 of the camera approved to date could be considered to be hybrid or hybrid "like". The rest are clearly CINE cameras:

• the Canon EOS C70 - This a CINE camera which looks similar to a Hybrid, but has a lot more connections/capabilities. So it is not a hybrid - The question is could the Canon EOS R5 C also obtain approval.or

>> The question is could the Canon EOS R5 C also obtain approval. <<

I assume that "Overheating Issues" might have been the culprit.

• the Panasonic Lumix S1H is clearly a be Hybrid. But LUMIX S1H "new full-frame mirrorless camera that delivers cinema-quality video. Offering Full V-Log/V-Gamut with 14+ stops of dynamic range, 6K full-frame capture, 4:2:2 10-bit internal recording, Cinema 4K at up to 60p, and unlimited recording time" Is far more like the Z9. It comes with V-Log and V-Gamut pre installed AND is designed to accept external time code sync (with the right cable).

Given the S1H has been approved there is some hope that a Z9 with appropriate firmware and connections might qualify. It certainly could as a system with appropriate accessories, but is the requirement for a camera body or system? See more below.

Look at -- Partner help Netflix studios 360000579527-Cameras-Image-Capture-Requirements-and-Best-Practices

I think Nikon should get Z9 Netflix approved and put it in Netflix approved camera list. with capacity of 8k 60fps 12bit N-Raw and ProRes Raw internal recording many will be interested to use Z9 for webseries and even feature film.

I am relieved to see I am not the only crazy one๐Ÿ˜Š

CAPTURE REQUIREMENTS - In order to meet image capture standards required by Netflix, the following MINIMUM capture attributes must be adhered to:

Resolution - "Minimum of 3840 photosite capture width (Spherical)" - PASS

Codec - "Lightly Compressed or Uncompressed RAW or Intraframe Based Codec with 4:2:2 Chroma-subsampling or Greater" - probable PASS

Bit Depth - "10-Bit or Greater" - PASS

Data Rate - "Minimum 240Mbps at 24FPS" - PASS

Color Space - "Scene-referred Color Space (S.Gamut3, ALEXA Wide Gamut, REDWideGamut etc.)" - Possible FAIL - I do not know whether HDR Hybrid Log Gamut (HLG) or N-Log formats are satisfactory. I would be surprised if they are not. AND this certainly can be fixed with the appropriate firmware update.

Transfer Function - "Scene-referred Transfer Function (Slog3, Log C, Log3G10, VLog etc.)" - It would depend on whether SDR, HDR, or N-Log are considered acceptable. One would hope N-Log is adequate. Again this could be "fixed" with a firmware update.

>> Codec - "......Color Space . <<

I am not an expert. I happened to watch an interesting video yesterday: https://youtu.be/r9eyGFCHRlU

Timecode - "System is capable of jamming to an external source. Timecode should be written as metadata."
While the Z9 certainly does record time code (see manual extract), the Z9 does not have an onboard Time Sync option or BNC connectors, but there maybe acceptable options. Unlike the S1H the Z9 does not appear to currently have options to sync timecodes -- but this is easily fixable.

I have not tried syncing a Z9 to an external time code. It would be easy to do with an appropriate firmware update. Also For example, Tentacle says: "Our Tentacle SYNC E or ORIGINAL timecode generator device with every DSLR or mirrorless camera that has at least a 3.5mm jack microphone input. If your camera is able record a stereo signal, the Tentacle devices will send the audio timecode to the left channel and the sound of the built-in reference microphone to the right channel."

There is a big ecosystem of options. The following 2021 video covers most of them: https://youtu.be/Nmde6Z7fH_A

The Z9 also certainly writes timeline data with its video files AND its HDMI port output can be connected to devices that do have time code sync, but that would mean exporting recording/sync/etc. I am sure that Sync functionality is connectable using an Ultrasync One or UltraSync Blue to the Atomos Shogun and can be added via a AtomX sync to a Ninja V/V+. AND there are other units one can also add like SDI video I/O.

I am not aware of what other accessories, beyond the grip, either Nikon is developing or are available/coming from 3rd parties that will provide additional functionality, including time sync, to the Z9. There are lots of products including on camera monitors with advanced capabilities that can bridge the gaps between a hybrid camera and a CINE - the most useful for me are the on camera monitors from Atomos, BlackMagic and SmallHD are perhaps the most well know, but not the only ones. I would remind some folk that most CINE rigs use 3rd bolt on capabilities often from 3rd parties.

I am sure that there will be more and more. However, the key question is for Netflix to approve the camera do these capabilities have to be built in OR is it acceptable for them to be accessories ? In other words Netflix would have to approve a system approach not just a specific camera body --like the 20 already approved.

I wish Netflix would look into the SYSTEMIC approach especially considering Nikon's wallet has full of holes to spend on all non-core R&D.

Netflix guidance includes "Note: Not all cameras that meet these capture requirements are approved. These requirements are the minimum specifications necessary for a camera system to be considered for approval. Other attributes must be taken into account such as dynamic range, form factor, stability, workflow compatibility, and more." which leave a lot of space for them to say yes or no.

I am sure their LEGAL Department is the culprit of that line๐Ÿ˜Š

Thanks again for your sharing your priceless wisdom in this domain.

-- hide signature --

Camera Specialization: Nikon Z9, Sony A1, D850, D5, D810, D800E, Sony Nex-7, Nikon D4S
Lenses: Nikon NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S,
Nikon NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S, Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14mm F2.8, 150-600MM, Macro Lenses

skmadapatu's gear list:skmadapatu's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z9 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 +21 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
FKS
FKS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow