Genaray or Amaran Constant Lights for Small Product Photography?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
sshapiro Contributing Member • Posts: 865
Genaray or Amaran Constant Lights for Small Product Photography?

I just started learning how to photograph small products, such as mugs and jewelry. I need to get two or three constant light sources, and the solutions I am looking at are these:

Genaray Accushine 60W

Amaran 60d

Amaran 60x

I can get the Genaray light for about $75 USD each through a student discount. The Amaran lights range from about $170 USD to $200 USD. I plan to buy at least two of the same lights, but I am not sure which solution is best. I have a shooting table, light stands and soft boxes that will work with any of the lights, so additional accessories won't be needed.

I am not familiar with Genaray, although the price of the Genaray product is good. However, the portability (size, weight, and battery option) of the Amaran lights adds a lot of value that might be worth the extra cost, especially if I eventually use the lights for other purposes.

Do you have any thoughts on these brands or the specific lights I listed? Also, do you think the adjustable color temperature of the Amaran 60x is worthwhile? The 60x puts out a bit less light than the 60d, so there is a tradeoff between those two products.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow