Z9 8K 60P NEV processing Wisdom: M1 Ultra vs. Max (and DaVinci vs. EDIUS)

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
kaz911 Regular Member • Posts: 271
Re: Z9 8K 60P NEV processing Wisdom: M1 Ultra vs. Max (and DaVinci vs. EDIUS)

skmadapatu wrote:

Thank you for your wisdom and for educating me on the BM Cloud. Let me admit my ignorance of the IT Infrastructures (especially BM Cloud) and I needed to study further on it. I was under the impression it is primarily used by remote teams using the Proxies over the internet. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/collaboration

We tried to transfer the files between two MacBook MAXs. But the transfer was desperately slow (I do have an AXE5300 WiFi 6E Mesh WiFi System). So we decided to manually transfer using the SSD instead of spending time on further investigations.

Wireless is useless for large transfers. The indicated / advertised speeds are never what you get in real life.

10GBit Ethernet works well for large transfers.

So BM Cloud servers are "mini" "on location servers" you can use as your personal servers. As the bigger models have 4 x 10GBit ethernet ports - you can connect up to 4 external devices (like computers) at the same time.  And they can all access and work on the same projects on the BM Cloud server at the same time.

So you connect your mac with a TB3 -> 10GBit ethernet interface. I prefer the Sonnet Solo 10G as it has NO fan in it.

Apart from that the BM Cloud servers can read "media" - so you take your Z9 memory card and plug into a USB-C reader attached to the BM Server - and the server imports the media automatically at highest speed possible.

I'm considering the "small" BM Cloud server for my network but it is not as fast as the bigger ones. But it makes "sharing of projects" across machines a lot easier while. you are working on them.

kaz911's gear list:kaz911's gear list
Nikon Z7
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow