Custom printer profile — who makes them

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 7,611
Re: Buy your own profiling device.........

You can usually get a used Xrite Colormunki Photo on Ebay in the $100 - 150 range. If you have a few custom profiles made by someone that cost most likely will cover the CM Photo purchase price.

Thanks so much for the device suggestion! I’ll look into it. Definitely makes sense to spend this kind of money if I am experimenting with inks.

Insofar as you're willing to learn a little (it's not too difficult) and take the time to make your own profiles, then I very much agree with Bob (Petruska) that buying a used ColorMunki Photo* and using that with the latest X-Rite i1Studio software (IIRC version 1.5.1 for Windows or version 1.6 for Mac OS) or possibly the new Calibrite software is a very good way to get quite decent custom printing profiles without spending much money. I did this myself a couple of years ago (after renting the newer-version i1Studio, see e.g. https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/x-rite-i1studio-spectrophotometer). I've been quite happy with my purchase and the printing profiles it builds. It does not take too much use for buying a used ColorMunki Photo to be cheaper than either having someone else make custom profiles, or renting a device on occasion as needed. So unless you really need very high-level profiles and/or want to do something exotic with weird patch sets, I second this suggestion.

*Not a ColorMunki Display or a ColorMunki Smile.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow