Best off-camera lighting without modifiers?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP elektrobank Regular Member • Posts: 134
Re: Best off-camera lighting without modifiers?

JohnSil wrote:

elektrobank wrote:

JohnSil wrote:

elektrobank wrote:

lehill wrote:

elektrobank wrote:

I already have a couple of flashes, but was wondering if there are any good off camera flashes, lights, LEDs, etc. for run-and-gun shooting that provide good lighting without needing a modifier? Will likely be used hand held or with a light stand. Either a flash or a constant LED? I was looking at the Rotolights, they seem to offer what I'm looking for, but they are quite expensive and I don't see them discussed often so I'm hesitant about throwing down that kind of money without knowing more. Or are there any basic modifiers that are compact, quick to setup and hold, that I can use with my existing flash that will give me lighting as close to a soft box as possible without needing a full sized soft box? Right now I just use my flash with a bounce card in these situations, but it's not ideal and doesn't work as well outdoors, so was seeing if there's better options out there.

Thanks!

I use an old version of this 26" Rapid Box. It has a bracket to mount a camera flash and opens/closes like an umbrella. Mine has a reflector plate and diffusion sock. Fits in its own bag ~16" lg x 7" dia. I also have a knock-off by a different brand that was a little bit cheaper.

It's a little confusing to me because it sounds like you're looking for an itty bitty light that produces the same light quality as a 6 ft softbox and that's just not going to happen. The big softbox works the way it does just because it's big. A big 6 ft umbrella can work too.

I'm looking for the most compact lighting or modifier that can give me the closest quality to a softbox. In situations were I can't be setting up or carrying around a softbox or umbrella. I know it will not be the same, but something better than direct flash or bounce card. I've shot with the Rotolight and it provides really nice light in a compact package with a built in defuser, and is good enough without a softbox or umbrella. It can be handheld, on a stand, or even added to a softbox, though it looks plenty good without one. Was looking for other options as well, or opinions on that setup.

Electro, have you tried a small beauty dish or folding style beauty softbox? Why don’t you google beauty dishes and see if there’s one that fits your application and will mount to your strobes?
I’ve used my strobes with just the aluminum reflector can that comes with it wrapped with a diffuser cloth. I’ve been happy with it when there’s wind out.
If you’re shooting in daylight not sure a constant light would be effective but will work at night. Good luck!

John

I have not. Is there a super easy folding one that opens with the front diffuser attached and doesn't need to be attached after?

I have two different ones. Are you gonna use a strobe or speedlights? Mine are set up with speed rings for my strobes.
john

Off camera speedlight.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
kli
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow