A weatherproof setup on a limited (secondhand) budget?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jeff Biscuits Contributing Member • Posts: 538
A weatherproof setup on a limited (secondhand) budget?

For some time my hiking setup has been a Fujifilm X-T1/2 with the 16-80 lens (ie 24-120 equivalent). It’s worked out great, but I’ve recently moved over to smaller bodies which aren’t weather resistant.

So, if it can be done without too much expense, I’m potentially interested in replacing that with a broadly equivalent setup that is not only weather resistant, but more robustly so than the Fujifilm. Which brings me to Olympus.

Budget being an issue, the cheapest viable approach (noting that I always buy used) looks to be an E-M5 mkII plus the Panasonic 12-60 f/3.5-5.6, which gives essentially the same focal range as my 16-80.

Usage will primarily be landscapes. I have my Fujifilm kit for everything else, and I’m not looking to expand into a second system, nor to get drawn into upping the budget—I just want one combination of body and versatile zoom that will stand up to proper rain on the days that I need it to, so I’m not investing heavily in it, nor do I need it to cover extreme focal lengths (but sub-14mm at the wide end is certainly desirable). I’m not professional and take pictures almost entirely for my own benefit, but I do occasionally get them printed big.

Are there other similarly-priced setups I’ve overlooked? From an initial bit of research it seems the 12-60 is the cheapest weather resistant lens by some margin—but is it as weather resistant as the well-regarded Olympus kit? Are there any potential flaws in that combination? Any other pearls of wisdom? Any images to convince me how good/bad that lens is for landscapes.

Cheers 🙂

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow