Birding Gear Help

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TheDarkDapper New Member • Posts: 13
Birding Gear Help

Hi all,

Looking for suggestions on setting up my gear list to shoot birds. Where I live, Hobart Australia there are lots of small birds in the bushlands surrounding our home.

I am far from experienced shooting birds but am highly confident with motorsport and landscapes having been shooting these for 35+ years.

On some recent walking trips to capture birds I have learned very quickly that this is not as easy as just spotting a bird and pointing the camera. I have found getting close to these birds a real challenge and therefore the birds end up being very small in the frame.

I have been using the R6 in crop mode along with the RF100-400. It seems I am focal length limited, along with skill limitations which I am hoping to develop.

I have considered the new R7 with the 100-400 to gain more pixels and cropping in post but am unsure if this is the best way forward. Maybe an R5 and RF 100-500 ? slightly more focal length and pixel to work with ?

Would like to stick with Canon brand zoom lenses due to versatility.

-- hide signature --

A wise man once said nothing.

TheDarkDapper's gear list:TheDarkDapper's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 16mm F2.8 STM Canon RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow