Who uses a Z5/6/7 i/ii as an everyday carry?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dan the man p Senior Member • Posts: 1,008
Who uses a Z5/6/7 i/ii as an everyday carry?

Background: I've been a Canon EOS M owner since 2014, but with the recent announcement of APS-C cameras in RF mount, it looks like the writing is on the wall for my system. I'm therefore thinking of selling out while the resale value is still decent, probably this year, and looking into other systems. Items on my wishlist that EOS M has never provided are a fast standard zoom and maybe IBIS (not required, but desired especially if the zoom isn't stabilized). I like the small size of the M, so I was looking into APS-C offerings from Sony and Fuji. However, once you get a body with IBIS and a fast standard zoom (which I consider f/2.8 in APS-C), the cost is already well into full-frame territory. The size generally is too, with the one exception being the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8.

So, in my research I started looking into full frame. I always thought it would be too big and expensive for me, but the Nikon Z5 and 24-70 f/4 are really tempting me. It seems to be a great body, and with that lens it's actually not that big. f/4 would be the equivalent of f/2.5 on my Canon APS-C, so that is fast enough for me, and I love what I'm reading about the IQ and seeing in sample images. I would probably add the 40mm f/2 as an even smaller / low-light option. As an added bonus, even the entry level body is weather sealed. It just seems like a great value for the price when compared with the APS-C options I'm considering.

The thing I'm struggling with deciding is whether the size will be a hindrance to me in terms of taking it most places with me. My photos are about 75% family and the remaining 25% landscape and travel. I really like that with my EOS M50 and 22mm f/2 pancake lens, I can fit it in a jacket or cargo pocket, take it anywhere, and get great pictures. I know that degree of portability won't be possible with any full-frame camera, but I'm wondering how many use these cameras as an everyday carry option, and what you think of it in terms of size for that purpose? Am I crazy? Maybe I just have GAS? I'm especially interested in any opinions of people who have switched from APS-C as their primary system.

 dan the man p's gear list:dan the man p's gear list
Sony DSC-RX0 Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M) Sigma 18-50mm F2.8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fad
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow