Would stereo cameras be better than PDAF for depth data on phones?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Entropy512 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,819
Re: Would stereo cameras be better than PDAF for depth data on phones?

sportyaccordy wrote:

I am watching "fokeh" very closely.... it is getting better but still not quite there yet

Is there anything that having 2 separate camera modules combining into one image could do for depth mapping that OSPDAF can't?

For focus, you really need the data to be on-lens, so it is going to be present.

Beyond that - Google has been doing this since the Pixel 4 at least.  IIRC the PDAF sites are vertical, and the tele/wide sensors are spaced horizontally.  The wide sensor, in addition to OSPDAF from both sensors, is used to augment depth for the tele sensor, and vice versa (at least for the central area of the wide sensor that is also covered by tele).  They also use a neural network to try and "clean up" the data because the depth data is still a little "meh" due to the short baselines involved.

-- hide signature --

Context is key. If I have quoted someone else's post when replying, please do not reply to something I say without reading text that I have quoted, and understanding the reason the quote function exists.

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow