Panasonic S1 issue: Video changes aperture - HELP

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Off The Mark Veteran Member • Posts: 6,430
Re: Panasonic S1 issue: Video changes aperture - HELP

S1shooter wrote:

Thanks for the detailed response, and the tutorials.

You are welcome.

I can change some of the settings, and I'll look more into that, but something I've noticed just in my prior attempts to do so is that certain features are darked out and can't be changed.

I do have the VLOG 10 bit update, but I have to shoot in .MOV to use it. I'm assuming .MOV is similar to RAW on a Blackmagic, but takes up less space.

Yes, Panasonic is a bit weird in that some of the features are available when shooting in .mov form at and some only when shooting .mp4 format. I don't really like the way they implement it.

An oversimplification: .mov is just the format of the file. On the S1, you get a ton of picture profiles, such as CineD, CineV, Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Like709, HLG and V-LOG.

The V-LOG and HLG profiles give you the most dynamic range. They actually give you MORE dynamic range than most standard screens can show. Newer tv's and monitors with High Dynamic Range (HDR) can show all that dynamic range (in theory).

V-LOG is also less-saturated than the other profiles. This gives you FLEXIBILITY if you want to change the exposure and color in post.

Just can't figure out why this was never an issue before, and why it isn't an issue when I take photos (in C3 mode btw) and just suddenly becomes one when I turn video on.

We will need to know what your settings are in C3.

Also, when you say, "when I turn video on," do you mean actually rotating the dial to the movie icon? Or do you mean staying in the C3 setting and just pressing the red record button?

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6500 +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow