Best weather sealed zoom?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SilvaticusBlues Forum Member • Posts: 52
Best weather sealed zoom?

Hey guys,

So I keep going round in circles, I want to pick up a zoom for hiking/camping/travelling, to pair with my xpro2. I am in Scotland and the weather here is variable, to put it nicely. My kit sees a lot of dampness.

16-55 - best build? But no OIS, and heavy, zoom range is a bit short, coming as a prime shooter f2.8 would be welcome but not strictly necessary. Also pricy but best IQ of the lot?

16-80 - reluctant to pick up a second hand lens considering the QC issues around this model. F4 is fine and 6? Stops OIS is nice. Range is good, too, as is weight.

18-120 - video lens, ok, but will it have the iq for a stills shooter? Love that it’s parafocal and internally focusing as imo the extending barrel on a zoom is clearly the weak point in a sealed design (sucking dirt and water in), don’t mind the lack of aperture ring, but will I regret getting a “videographers” lens if I don’t shoot video? Also no OIS..

tamron 17-70 - looks nice but it’s a bit pricy here the UK for a 3rd party lens! I like that it’s light and has a good range. Good coma so might work for Astro in a pinch.

For context my standard set up is samyang 12mm, xf 23 f1.4 and xf 56mm f1.2.

Any pearls of wisdom would be welcome!

SilvaticusBlues's gear list:SilvaticusBlues's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS
Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R APD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow