Received my Tamron 17-70mm today...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lettermanian
Lettermanian Senior Member • Posts: 2,119
Received my Tamron 17-70mm today...

It was a bit of a surprise because when I preordered availability was supposed to be in August... I won't complain

No time to test it yet in earnest but opened it and tried it briefly on my X-S10 and X-T3. Initial thoughts:

- feels good in the hand, high quality plastic build etc., weather seal on the mount. I like the smaller hood. almost the exact same diameter as the 70-300, and it balances well on the X-S10, mainly because of the extra grip. On the X-T3 it feels a bit front-heavy, but doesn't significantly affect the handling at all. I've had two 16-55's over the years and this one feels lighter and less bulky.

- it's not compact, being almost the same length as the 70-300 unzoomed (is that a word?). You can see size comparisons below.

- We hadn't seen yet how this lens works with IBIS. I can report that the full IS MODE menu is displayed on the X-S10 as well as "OFF", and on the X-T3 the full menu as well. I will have to wait to actually test it properly to see if the lens VC works with Fuji's IBIS (if I'll even be able to tell...)

- the other lens-related menu items, such as Linear/Non-linear and focus ring direction are also available. Manual focus also seems to work fine with peaking and magnification working the same as with a fuji lens.

- good close-focus capabilities. See pics below.

I'll be able to shoot with it over the next couple of days (weather permitting), but let me know if you have any questions, and I'll try to get to them.

My collection: Fuji 70-300, Tamron 17-70, Viltrox 13mm (all three with 67mm filter, yay!) Fuji 18-55, Zeiss 12mm 2.8

70-300 vs 17-70 with hoods.

Zoomed all the way (300mm and 70mm)

Close focus at 70mm...

...and at 17mm

IS MODE menu on X-S10 in AUTO ISO (if in manual/single value ISO just continuous and shooting only  and OFF are available (normal).

Displays the lens firmware version.

-- hide signature --

"Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong." -Charles M. Schulz
"I love mankind... it's PEOPLE I can't stand!!" - Linus

Lettermanian's gear list:Lettermanian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-S10 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Tamron 17-70 F2.8 Di III-A VC RXD Fujifilm XF 70-300 F4-5.6 R LM OIS WR
Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm X-T3 Tamron 17–70mm F2.8 Di III-A VC RXD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow