Understanding ND filters, when to use, when NOT to use, etc...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ButchA61
ButchA61 Regular Member • Posts: 115
Understanding ND filters, when to use, when NOT to use, etc...

Good afternoon,

Earlier today, I stopped at the local camera store in town, and asked about ND filters for my Nikon D3500 DSLR (which I brought with me).  The clerk noticed I had the small DX 35mm f/1.8G prime lens on.  I explained that it is my favorite, go anywhere, do anything, type of lens.  Getting to the point, the clerk got out some 52mm filters, and sold me a Promaster Variable 2-9 stop ND filter.

I quickly ventured over to one of the public parks with one of those water fountains in a small pond.  I setup my tripod on the wooden overlook/fishing pier, and focused squarely on the fountain at a shutter speed of 1/2 second, and very very carefully and steadily pressed the shutter button.

What do you think for a very first attempt at blurring a fountain with an ND filter?  How dark can I go and/or how slow a shutter can I go?

ButchA61's gear list:ButchA61's gear list
Nikon D3500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon D3500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow