Build quality concerns over Canon RF L lenses - valid?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pknittel Junior Member • Posts: 28
Build quality concerns over Canon RF L lenses - valid?

I am considering adding a Canon R5 C to my current setup (A7S III), and one thing that concerns me a little is the value proposition and build quality of the RF lens ecosystem.

With the RF lens lineup, it seems everything is both more expensive, with unnoticeable IQ improvements over the EF lens, and with worse build quality on the L lineup: all plastic, no metal; as compared to the EF L series which feature sturdy metal construction. Most of the RF lens seem to also rely heavily on camera correction, with significant barrel distortion which reduces IQ on corners.

Compared to the Sony E-mount, I can get quality zooms from Sigma, with incredible image quality and a solid, metal construction.

Should I be concerned about the plasticy build quality of the RF lens system? I simply don't think a multi-thousand dollar lens should be made of plastic. While I take care of my equipment, with years of use, drops and accidents happen.

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
KEG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow