Who would buy a Nikon Z (DX) a la D500?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
cosmicnode Veteran Member • Posts: 6,779
Re: Who would buy a Nikon Z (DX) a la D500?

n057 wrote:

MikeP7000 wrote:

n057 wrote:

MikeP7000 wrote:

n057 wrote:

MikeP7000 wrote:

I'm not sure it makes sense to make DX-specific "Pro" cameras any more. With sensors as good as they are, a high mp FF with DX mode makes the most sense, IMO. I think this is essentially a future variant of the Z7, but with trickle down technology from the Z9. Alternatively, a new model that is aimed specifically at wildlife and sports shooters, with reduced video capability; I'd buy that, if it was priced well.

I love my D500 but would like to benefit from the eye tracking capability of modern cameras.

A future variant of the Z7 but with trickle down technology from the Z9? You mean like a D850?

A new model that is aimed specifically at wildlife and sports shooters, that sound to me like a Nikon Z(DX) a la D500.

And you would like to benefit from the eye tracking capability.

What is it exactly that would hold you from buying a Z500?

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

The fact that it's a fictitious camera with unknown specs.

Joking aside, my point was that I'm not sure if Nikon will produce a DX-specific "Pro" model Z camera. I could be wrong, though. If they don't, then we would need a new variant of one of their current models as, and I don't know about you, there is no way I am ponying up for the Z9. Alternatively, they just improve the performance of the Z7 or Z6, using trickle-down tech.

The average non-pro did not buy the FX flagship, but they went for the D200, D300 and D700, and later for the D500, which I am sure outsold the D5 by a wide margin. So far the Z9 appears to exceed Nikon's expectations, but a Z500 will not make a dent in the projected Z9 sales.

There was wild speculation during the uncertain period between the D300s and the D500 that there was no need for Nikon to come up with a D300 successor, and that so called Pro-DX was dead. Whenever a Dx cam was announced with more megapixels than the D300 but with less sophiscated controls, a few people tried them and were disappointed. None of them fit the bill for action and BIF.

So when the D500 finally appeared out of nowhere. people were pleasantly surprised.

As for me, I want a Pro-DX Z model. There are many advances in the Z9 that I want in a DX, less expensive model, just like the D500 had many of the D5 features, in a smaller, less expensive package. FX is not at all on my radar.

JC

I think it will all come down to price point: Personally, I'd like the option to choose between full frame and DX, but I'm not willing to pay excessive amounts for it, which might bring a Z500 to my attention.

I guess it comes down to how much more expensive FX cameras are to manufacturer these days, compared to DX: If they can offer a ZFX camera with D500 DX capability, at "Z500 money", then I'd be interested. I could be dreaming, though.

Unless something miraculous happens, a DX sensor will always be less expensive than an FX sensor. On a given wafer of silicon, you can fit more DX sensors than FX, and this has a direct impact on the price of the sensor.

There is currently no other Z camera that approach the capabilities of the Z9, so look at how the price of a Z5 compares to the price of a Z50. Those are both fairly simple cameras. That gives you some idea of the cost difference just because of sensor size. Granted, the Z50 has a few more features, but compared to a Z9, the Z50 and Z5 are practically the same.

JC

The Z9 has a lot of features that would not move down to a Z500 such as the 8k unless there was around 40mp to make that feature available , perhaps reducing both the size of the ibis components and heat sink required, would the complex and probably expensive rear screen tilt mechanism make it to a DX body, will there be room. Each extra function button needs room to fit and increases cost, there may be features such as Lan that wont make it over. There is much more to a smaller Z500 body than just the cheaper sensor to consider, reducing costs but still retaining the essence for sports of a blackout free viewfinder, and good AF which other bodies not including the Z9 do not have.

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
EKB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow