Focal Length Tally

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Foggy8 Regular Member • Posts: 165
Focal Length Tally

I don't especially like shooting film, but I really like some of the AF point and shoot full frame cameras from the 1980's and 1990's. They are relaxing to use, and many are small and lightweight for walks and carrying with me everywhere. The Sony RX1 and Leica Q digitals are nice with great prime lenses. I would have loved those in the old days, but as I get older, I think I'm starting to like zoom lenses more which leads me back to small AF full frame film cameras since there are zero zoom lightweight full frame digital cameras made.

I did an experiment today. After taking a walk I thought it would be interesting to tally which focal lengths I used on that walk. I was using a Panasonic ZS100 which has a 25-250mm equivalent lens. The ZS100 has a 1" sensor. Here is my chart: A is the 35mm equivalent focal length, and column B is the number of times I used that focal length (not counting multiple shots of the same subject with the same focal length).

I could do this with any group of zoom photos that I've shot, but this was the most recent shoot.

A  B

25 5

28 1

35 6

40 3

50 2

70 3

85 5

100 1

135 0

180 0

200 0

250 1

One of the 25mm shots was a selfie so that doesn't count. Without spending too much time analyzing these tallies here, I found this exercise very useful for helping me decide on what type of camera to get. In my case, which point and shoot film camera, and should it be zoom or prime? What range zoom, etc? I'm starting to lean towards one of the 28-70mm cameras. Minolta Freedom Explorer, Yashica T4 zoom, Pentax 928M, etc.

Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow