New PC won't post

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 18,920
New PC won't post

I'm trying to build myself three new servers for my home lab.   Basic PC's, but I can't get my first one to post, or at least show any video.

Right now I'm looking for information on the post process itself, to see if I've actually booted, but have some video issue.  I can tell you that the numlock, caps lock and scroll lock buttons all work on my keyboard, which I thought was a sign of a successful post.

I have no speaker on the m/b or in the case.   The m/b has not diagnostic leds.

I have three sets of components, so I've been able to try swapping parts.  First, the parts:

Intel I7-12700F

32GB of DDR4 RAM (and it lights up with swoopy colors too)

Gigabyte B660M DS3H DD4 rev 1.0 motherboard.  (Says it supports Gen 12 Intel)

ASUS EN210 video card

First, I'm trying this without any disk drives connected as that's just more variables.   I have DVI cable connected to a known-good monitor, and a USB keyboard connected.   The 8-pin CPU power cable is plugged in.

Fans all come on.  At first power up the fans do speed up briefly and then settle down.  Keyboard num lock light comes on at about the usual time.   Toggling any of the lit keyboard keys like num lock also toggle the corresponding light.   Ctrl-alt-del resets the PC.

What have I swapped?

-I have three video cards and tried all

-tried second CPU

-swapped m/b and CPU

-swapped 400w p/s to new 750w

Wish I had a speaker for troubleshooting.   Looks like a trip into the garage coming up.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"I miss the days when I was nostalgic."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +45 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow