Trip to Svalbard via Faroe and Jan Mayen

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
LazyBear New Member • Posts: 7
Trip to Svalbard via Faroe and Jan Mayen

I took another polar cruise with Quark Expeditions, similar to my Antarctica trip in 2020 right before the COVID. Now went north, starting in Aberdeen, going to Fair Isle, then Faroes, Jan Mayen and Svalbard. The cruise finished in Longyearbyen with charter flight to Oslo.

This time I took Olympus E-M1 Mk II with Panasonic 55-200 (this setup worked great in Antarctica, light and splash proof), Olympus 300/4 Pro as well as Sony A7 III + 24-105/4. Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max covered the rest. Some may think it is odd to carry two different systems, and I do own Sony 200-600, but I'd rather not lug around huge glass in Zodiacs and on hikes in snow. Oly 300/4 is way more compact. Unfortunately, I dropped the lens in the middle of the trip and it stopped focusing on infinity, so I mostly used 55-200.

The expedition company provided excellent parkas and much boots, but waterproof pants are must since landing from Zodiac is into the water. The ship was even smaller than Antarctic one, only 128 passengers with actually only 71 on board. Some cabins were reserved for potential COVID isolation. Full vaccination with booster was required + negative test taken 3 days before arrival in Aberdeen. Everyone had to take another test the day of the boarding. We did not have any sick on board.

The trip took 12 days. Day at Fair Isle, two day at Faroes (we were not allowed to roam in Torshavn as to keep 'Covid bubble') visiting smaller villages, a day at sea, a day at Jan Mayen, another day at sea and the rest in Svalbard. We did cross 80 degrees northern latitude.

Fair Isle

Faroes

Jan Mayen

Svalbard

In overall, it was a great trip.

Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Panasonic Leica DG 50-200mm F2.8-4 Sony a7 III Sony FE 24-105mm F4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow