XT4 + 70-300: Polo

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jhorse Veteran Member • Posts: 5,514
XT4 + 70-300: Polo

Over this weekend, I attended a polo tournament, which was the knock out stage for the British Open/Gold Cup and which was a top notch standard with 10 gaol players (the best in the sport - only a handful in the world). The action was fast, furious and continuous.  In some cases horses are travelling at about 25MPH, which is a little slower than race horses, which average about 30, but many polo ponies are ex-racehorses in the UK. When all four hooves are in suspension off the ground - they are at the gallop.

The 70- 300 performed impressively. I'd say plus of 75% of the shots from an initial look were sharp. Some of the misses were clearly down to me not being able to keep the focus zone on a galloping horse as it came very close (I was 5 meters from the board - the polo version of the football touchline). This was out of about a thousand shots on each day.

My settings were: shutter speed kept above 1/1250, so ISO varied from 400-800, aperture kept at f7.1, just a little closed for better sharpness, AF-C set with drive at CL (still took too many images!), AF Mode set to wide (3x3 box), and AF-C Custom set to 6 with Tracking Sensitivity at Zero, Speed Tracking Sensitivity set to One, and Zone Area Switching set to Front.

Here is one run of a world class player:

Hitting hard and accurately at 25MPH is no mean feat.

The score went to 10 - 9.

My 70-300 was almost too long!

For me, the XT4 AF is fast enough and the lens is sharp enough; I wonder what opinions are.

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm X-E4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow