X100V most definitely not weather sealed

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ISO 1 Million Contributing Member • Posts: 683
X100V most definitely not weather sealed

Back in October of last year, my first X100V drowned when I exposed it to torrential amounts of water at Niagara Falls.  That was definitely my fault as the water was coming in sideways and with a lot of force which well exceeds what this camera was likely designed to handle.  I did notice, however, that neither the side door nor the battery door are sealed which really made me question just how weather resistant this thing is even with the filter kit attached.  My battery was soaking wet.

Fast forward to today and my second X100V just bit the dust but this time only from rain.  I took it to the Mistico Hanging Bridges in Costa Rica and there was some heavy rain but I shielded the camera underneath my waterproof rain jacket most of the time and only took it out to take photos.  I have it on a neck strap that keeps the camera upright at all times and it never tilted sideways or upside down so I was confident it would be fine.  After only a few shots and with rain only falling on the top plate, the camera suddenly turned itself off and would not turn back on.  After I got to a dry place, I checked the battery compartment and removed the battery and it is bone dry.  No moisture anywhere inside the battery compartment.  I checked the side door and it is dry too.  Then I removed my filter and adapter ring and everything is also bone dry.  This means the water came in through the top plate which is where this camera is supposed to have weather seals.

This is incredibly frustrating as I love the X100V but I simply can not trust this model ever again if it died so easily from not much rain.  My friend took his D850 to Niagara Falls and the hanging bridges and his camera survived just fine.  I know it is not realistic to expect the same level of sealing from a consumer level body but I seriously question if the X100V has any seals at all now.  We know for sure the side door and battery compartment have zero sealing but the top plate also looks like a weak point too which no filter can fix.

I have removed the battery and opened up all the compartments to dry out and will try to turn it on again in a few days.  If it’s dead, I will not buy another one and I unfortunately will have to look elsewhere for another small and lightweight travel camera.  My Sonys are too big and heavy and the X100V is absolutely perfect but it simply cannot be trusted.

-- hide signature --

www.harrytamphotos.com

ISO 1 Million's gear list:ISO 1 Million's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a9 Sony a7R III Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +5 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow