Venice/Dolomites Lens Recommendation

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SpaceForce Brad New Member • Posts: 11
Venice/Dolomites Lens Recommendation

Hello everyone, please bear with me for one more lens recommendation thread.  I'm going to Venice and the Italian Dolomites at the end of the month, and the prior threads were mostly dedicated to which primes to take.  I'm mostly a zoom lens guy, and wanted to get recommendations from others before the trip.  I'll be shooting on my X-T4, and taking my daughter's X-T30 as a backup body.

Longest hike will be about 2hrs/5 miles, but most days may be half that.  I'll be spending the night in mountain huts, but I will have to pack two nights of clothing for one section of the trip that is unreachable by car.

I have the following lenses to choose from:

Fuji 8-16mm F2.8

Fuji 10-24mm F4

Rokinon 12mm F2 manual

Samyang 12mm F2 autofocus

Fuji 16-55mm F2.8

Fuji 18-55mm F2.8-4

Fuji 50-140mm F2.8

Tamron 18-300mm F3.5-6.3

My bag is currently packed with the red-badge holy trinity 2.8's (8-16mm, 16-55mm, and 50-140mm), but the bag is awfully heavy when loaded up for the overnight gear (over 35lbs!).

A couple options I've toyed with:

#1 - ditch the heavy 16-55mm for my daughter's lighter 18-55mm.  It's worse in low light, but given the locations this could be my least used focal length of the trip.

#2 - ditch the very heavy 8-16mm that requires a separate filter holder for the 10-24mm.  The downside is that it is less than ideal for astrophotography, which I hope to do while in the dolomites.  The 8-16mm may also be fantastic for Venice.  I could add the great astro Rokinon 12mm lens to the 10-24 and still have a weight savings, but it comes at the expense of room in the pack.

#3 - Super lightweight option of the 10-24mm, and the Tamron 18-33mm.  Definitely, the most compact, lightest option.  But this comes with regrets since I don't find the Tamron to be as nice to use (no aperture ring) nor do I find it has the IQ of the Fuji lenses.

#4 - Since I've never been a huge fan of the Tamron, maybe trade it in for the Fuji 55-200 or the 70-300 and take one of these lenses instead of the 50-140mm?

#5 - I just got the new DJI Mini Pro 3, which weighs next to nothing.  This is my first drone, but maybe this can take the place of one of the lenses???

The purpose of this trip is for a photo workshop, so definitely a one-in-a-lifetime, experience where photography is the only goal.  I'm reasonably fit, should I just suck up the weight and stick with the heavy 2.8 zooms and be happy that I've got the best Fuji makes for these focal ranges?

Thanks in advance for any advice, even if that advice is to just bring more Motrin for the trip and go heavy!

Brad

SpaceForce Brad's gear list:SpaceForce Brad's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow