15-600mm for R7?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ZapperVT Senior Member • Posts: 1,922
15-600mm for R7?

I just ordered an R7 with the 18-150 and an EF control ring adapter.  I am looking for an upgrade in wildlife AF capability from my Nikon D500.  The D500 is a very capable camera but I am not a very capable wildlife photographer, and I am hoping the magic Canon bird eye tracking AF will improve my rather poor target acquisition and focus hit rate.

I currently use a Tamron 150-600mm G2 in F mount.  I find the performance of the lens satisfactory.  It is sharp (but not super sharp) at 600mm at f/6.3, which is where I use it 90% of the time, and the price is affordable.  I am considering buying an EF version of this lens or the similar Sigma Contemporary.

My question:  how does the Tamron 150-600mm G2 or the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary work on the recent R bodies (R5, R6, or R7)?  Are there any pitfalls adapting these 3rd party EF lenses that I should know about?

Thanks for the advice!

ZapperVT's gear list:ZapperVT's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Canon EOS R7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +12 more
Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS R7 Nikon D500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow