R7 Extreme Cropping and Noise

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Wildkits
Wildkits Regular Member • Posts: 278
R7 Extreme Cropping and Noise

Okay, this post is really more about cropping in as much as I never raised the ISO above 800. Some of these crops are under 2MP! When I go again this weekend, I'll try higher ISO, but for me, I think that 2500 will be my max.

Even at ISO there is a lot more noise than I'm use to seeing in full frame images, but the noise cleans up nicely in Topaz. Again, I think that I could probably raise it to 2500 with these relatively heavy crops. If I can fill the frame, perhaps ISO 3200 will be possible. But, lol, when I fill the frame, I struggle.

In short, it is a very good camera, but like most tools, it takes time and effort to master. Personally, I struggle with the limited customizations and buttons available, but then I remind myself that this is a $1500 camera, that goes toe to toe with my R5.

I'm a long way from mastering BIF shots with the R7, but what I've seen is promising .

Absolutely beautiful images when the subject is still

I need practice making sure the bird fits in the frame. I probably should have shot this bird using a wider focal length, but I was so close, I was already at 100mm on the 100-500..

I'm blown away at the cropping ability. This black-crowned night heron was standing in the middle of a lake (I couldn't get closer), so cropping was essential. I was pleasantly surpised at the IQ.

You almost can make out the detail of the small fish the heron is eating.

This grackle looks like she has lost a few fights. Again, reasonable detail given the distance.

Alright, this sand hill crane filled the frame. Undoubtedly a full frame camera would have done better (less noise), but you'd only see the difference via a direct comparison.

This large crop with an assist from Topaz.I once again and impressed by the detail that survives the cropping.

Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow