Slow backup to WD My Passport 5TB drive

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP JeremyB2 Contributing Member • Posts: 629
Re: Slow backup to WD My Passport 5TB drive

Thank you Nick & Robert. Portability is reasonably important to me but I may need to consider backing up to an external dock as well as a portable drive. I've just tried connecting my Icy Box to my PC, firstly with a 3 1/2" drive in it and later with a 2 1/2" drive. I could get either drive to be seen in Windows Explorer but there was a timer icon running continuously which I couldn't get rid of and prevented me from doing anything.

I can't see a 'policies' tab in Properties for the WD 5TB drive. Am I missing something?

I don't think it's a bad cable because I have tried more than one.

I've had a standard reply to the query I raised with WD. It asked all the expected questions, many of which do not relate to my situation, and it is obvious that the person responding hasn't really read what I wrote. I've gone back to them and it will be interesting to see if they can do any better second time around.

I've done more reading of reviews of the WD My Passport Ultra 5TB, which I undoubtedly read before deciding to buy it. The write speeds measured in all the reviews are way more than I'm getting, and are also more than my 2TB and 3TB WD drives which until now I have considered to be satisfactory.

JeremyB2's gear list:JeremyB2's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow