Z6II Focusing issues

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mario Giannini Senior Member • Posts: 2,866
Z6II Focusing issues

I sometimes feel like the Z6II is underperfoming on focus at random times.  For the most part, it seems really spot on and fast.

But there are times it just misses on simple things.  I was shooting my son with his skateboard, focus tracking, burst mode AF-C, and maybe one out of a dozen shots was blurred.

While I can see the issue maybe being focus tracking, here are some examples of 3 shots, static subjects, in shade, f/5.3 at about 1/20 to 1/25.  I would say maybe it's camera shake, except that you can tell the subjects are not in focus while the background is moreso.  Here is a comparison of 3 shots, taken in succession over a second or two, with the camera in the same spot.  Note how the top image (the last of the series) is focused ok (to my satisfaction) but the middle has the bricks in the background more in focus.  The red box is the focus area (It should have been on the eyes, but I didn't take these pics, wife did):

So why with the same basic focus spot, taken within seconds, did the Z6II miss the focus on 2 out of 3 shots?

-- hide signature --

Everything I write is a personal opinion. Even when I quote facts, they are the facts I personally choose to accept.
http://www.pbase.com/mariog

Mario Giannini's gear list:Mario Giannini's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X 17-35mm f/4 Pro FX +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow