Adorama shipping charge oddity

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MoreCowbell Regular Member • Posts: 311
Adorama shipping charge oddity

Contrary to potential interpretation, this is not a rant Just something that struck me as odd and potentially useful to know if you need a particular delivery timeframe. If this is just the way it is somebody please call that to my attention, but the result I just experienced strikes me as unusual.

I ordered a couple of memory cards from Adorama, selected their shipping upgrade from free shipping in 7 - 10 days, and was surprised when the $10.49 applied 3 - 5 day upgrade turned out to be Mail Innovations listed as 7 - 10 days.

In my experience, which is shipping from New York to Texas, Mail innovations is exceeded in poor service only by Smart Post. My experience has been that one of these solutions is the typical selection when the seller offers free shipping, so I was surprised to learn that it was a $10.49 upgrade.

A customer service inquiry was professionally answered within hours, but basically amounted to "That's what the system selects", which I'm sure is absolutely correct.

Adorama, to their credit as a class seller, just offered to refund the shipping charges altogether, although that does nothing for the shipping timeframe increase, but I don't think that actually addresses what I think people might wish to be on the lookout for.

I don't normally look at what's going on with the shipping after checkout, so I can see something undesirable happening if a buyer needs a particular delivery timeframe and "the system" makes unexpected decisions resulting in slower delivery.

Something which I also found odd was the cost of shipping charges that the website calculates based on the items shipped.

My last order for a memory card from Adorama resulted in its being shipped in a sturdy cardboard box about 8 inches by 6 inches by 4 inches. As the weight/bulk of one memory card vs two memory cards is essentially negligible, I wouldn't expect any significant difference in shipping cost or increase in container size since it was excessive to begin with. Since the shipping container of the order is identical in either case I would have anticipated the shipping costs for two units shipped separately to be greater than the cost for one unit.

However, Adorama website shipping for two completely separate orders is $3.99 each or $7.98 for both packages, a couple of bucks or so less than their $10.45 shipping for one package of the same size. So, a shipping discount for requiring them to ship twice instead of once

Go figure. As convoluted as it seems to be I'm not surprised the agent jus said "that's what the system selected"

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow