Is it art?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
TonyGN10 Contributing Member • Posts: 565
Re: Is it art?

tbcass wrote:

Phil A Martin wrote:

The very act of making an image is an artistic act and the resulting images are made within a visual culture that has evolved out of generations of artistic output. This is just a fact and is not dependent on whether the creator of the image is conscious of this fact or whether the resulting image has merit or not.

That makes sense if you are making an attempt to make a good photograph and not just snapping away indiscriminately.

I think you may have missed the main point of Phil's post i.e. an act of taking a photograph is "not dependent on whether the creator of the image is conscious of this fact or whether the resulting image has merit or not."

Snapshots are not "indiscriminate" i.e. they may not usually have artistic intent or merit but they are not random acts - the photographer has to chose a subject, to point the photographic device at the subject and then decide when to take the photograph.

If anything, the speed and lack of conscious, deliberate creative intent involved in taking a snapshot will more likely result in the unconscious exercise of accumulated "visual cultural norms" e.g. we tend to frame and compose snapshot photographs of people who are aware of being the photographic subject(s) in very, very similar ways.

TonyGN10's gear list:TonyGN10's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 33mm F1.4 R LM WR +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
tex
Bob
tex
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
tex
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow