The ZV-1 as a documentary camera?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Landberg Regular Member • Posts: 490
The ZV-1 as a documentary camera?

Hi!

Later this year I’m going to make a short documentary. It’s very important to be discreet and not look to professional. I need to blend in. I did some research and came across this little camera that I completely missed. I thought that i could use the ZV-1 with a small splitter to record two mono channels of audio, one being a wireless lav and one small shotgun on the camera.

Last week I was on vacation with my family and just tried the camera for the first time. I’m stunned. The AF is dead on 99% of the time. IQ is great, didn’t even shoot in log. I made an in camera preset and picked my WB manually and it looked kind of nice straight out of camera. The documentary will probably be shoot in black and white, so I will try do get it right in camera. I’m not a big fan of LUTs.

Here is my test video. Ignore the content (it’s only interesting for me and my family) but the IQ. I made a custom setting: 25fps 4k, “50mm” field of view (never wider), Aperture 2.8, base ISO and shutter set at 50 & I used a variable ND filter to be able to stay at the 50 and 2.8 all the time. I think that makes for a more consistent look.

The documentary will only be viewed online. It’s going to be an interesting process. What do you guys think, could it work? It’s a payed job where the content is more important than how it looks, but I do think that I have found the perfect compromise in the ZV-1.

Landberg's gear list:Landberg's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Ricoh GR II Sony ZV-1 Ricoh GR IIIx Olympus E-300 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow