7Artisans Photoelectric 28mm f1.4 Lens

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
LarsHP
LarsHP Contributing Member • Posts: 570
Re: 7Artisans Photoelectric 28mm f1.4 Lens

I had the 7Artisans 28mm f/1.4 FE+ version for a while (used with Nikon Z6).

Two things made me sell it:

1) At f/1.4 and medium to long focus distances, it's only half-decent in the center and bad or awful outside the center. This was the deal-breaker for me.

2) No sun-stars at any aperture. If the sun is in the frame, it won't look pretty.

Note that the FE+ version is redesigned for normal mirrorless cameras like Sony, Nikon Z etc. even though it has M mount.

On the positive side, by f/2.8 it's impressively sharp in the center (but still a bit soft in the sides and corners), and by f/4 and f/5.6 it's very, very sharp. Near the minimum focus distance, it's usable wide open, and it has a very smooth bokeh.

I have since bought the Leica 28mm Summicron-M Asph II, but I sold it after buying the Voigtländer 28mm Ultron II. That lens is stellar! It's sharp corner to corner, even wide open, and needless to say, I think it's an overall better lens than the five times more expensive Leica lens.

LarsHP's gear list:LarsHP's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow