System change or upgrade? Need advice to enhance my landscape setup (A9)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
lavive38
lavive38 New Member • Posts: 3
System change or upgrade? Need advice to enhance my landscape setup (A9)

Hello everybody

I'm new to this forum, despite the fact I read from you from quite a long time. I'm starting this thread to get advices for gear selection. I'm a bit lost. Let my explain my situation:

My main photography domains are landscape (60%), wildlife (25%) and travel/street/family/dog (15%)

My actual setup is:

Sony A9

Sony 200-600 G OSS

Tamron 70-180 f2.8

Sigma DG DN 24-70 f2.8

Sigma DG DN 14-24 f2.8

I usually find myself quite limited regarding landscape photography. I love my A9, don't get me wrong. But IQ for this kind of photography is sometime not that great (24Mp, dynamic range, colors, large prints, etc). I may be a marketing/technical datasheet victim, one more, though. This is why I'm looking for a 2nd camera dedicated to landscape. A9 will be perfect for wildlife/low light and is a joy to use daily.

I have selected 2 main options:

• To but a used A7RIII or A7RIV. I have all the lenses that I need. (maybe sell my 24-70 and get a 35f1.4 and 55 f1.8 ?)
  • Only keep A9 + 200-600 from Sony, maybe an additional 35 or 55mm and buy a used GFX100S with 2 lenses (32-64 and 100-200?). I'm really attracted by medium format. It seems to be exquisite for landscape, I love film simulation, etc.

My questions are:

Am I too harsh with my beloved A9? Has other person felt the same? Did they changed something?

Is there really a rendering gap between the A9 and the A7Rn in landscape photography? Between the A7Rn and the GFX100s? More than a difference in resolution, I mean by rendering, the overall aspect of the photo. I am not a pixel-peeper.

What would you do?

Thanks for your help

lavive38's gear list:lavive38's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow