Full Frame Better for Astrophotography?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
HP McGargo Junior Member • Posts: 45
Full Frame Better for Astrophotography?

Hi, I'm interested in shooting night skies and wonder if there's an appreciable advantage to use a full frame camera. I have seen excellent images shot on many different format cameras from micro 43 to full frame however, I still wonder if the sensor size is decidedly important. Recently, I've read about the Astrotracer feature on Pentax K1 cameras and wonder if that camera would be better than others without the built in GPS tracking feature. The Pentax looks very interesting as a dedicated astrophotography & landscape with that sensor shift ability. I've seen many used for sale virtually new for just over $1000.00 US. It's just a thought right now as I'm in a research mode trying to determine the right choice.

I've also found that many people stack photos and use software to edit. Thats something I need to consider and help in this regard would also be appreciated.

For the immediate future I do not plan to use a telescope but only camera lenses and would like suggestions on which type of lens is preferred if at all. Currently I'm shooting Nikon DSLR's D800, D500 & D5600 and have and several Nikon lenses from 14-24mm 2.8 to fixed tele's.

Thanks

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 Nikon D800 Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow