Is it art?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bob
Bob Veteran Member • Posts: 4,076
Is it art?

One way to get your head around it is to go by the definition set forth in US and European copyright law.

There, a distinction is drawn between an “artistic work” and “artistic merit”.  That is, all artistic works can be protected, regardless of artistic merit.

The law lists categories of works which are considered “artistic works”.  These include painting, sculpture, woodcuts, and photographs.

So, by definition, any photograph, no matter how out of focus, underexposed, or poorly composed, is an “artistic work”.

The question, “is it art,” addresses “artistic merit”.   Who can best assess artistic merit?  Like anything else, experienced and trained people in the particular field.

That said, regardless of what an art critic might say, I still retain my own opinion and will just artistic merit according to my own views.

Is a nicely framed photo hanging in a museum art?  It is indeed an artistic work.  In addition, someone thought it also had artistic merit.   Some would use the terms “art” and “artistic merit” as meaning the same thing.   Others would use the terms “art” and “artistic work” as meaning the same thing.  Hence the confusion.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
tex
Bob
tex
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
tex
Bob
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow