Butterfly landing on a butterfly bush

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
philzucker
philzucker Forum Pro • Posts: 10,007
Butterfly landing on a butterfly bush

The butterfly bush in my garden is blooming, and the butterflies are busy flying around  and feasting on it.

For the first time I now managed to get some usable shots of a butterfly in flight. I find those hard to get because these beautiful beast are really fast and have quite irregular flying paths.

Here we go, three pics out of a 60 fps sequence of a landing butterfly:

Interesting how it spreads out its legs approaching and lands with its right legs first, isn't it?

All of those are of course crops. The first one of this series looks also nice in a lesser cropped version, because a second butterfly was in the background there showing its colors:

To get those not stellar, but at least usable pics I focused on a suitable focus point and then used the Pro Capture Hi Speed modus of the Oly EM-1 II that takes 60 frames per second (without further AF). The Lo Speed mode with its 18 fps (and C-AF) was just not fast enough for those butterflies - got nothing with that. After trying around with the other parameters I finally chose 1/1000s as shutter speed, upped the ISO to 2500 and tried my luck. These were the only usable results out of a lot of tries ...

Lens used was the Oly 75-300 II, focal length at 234mm, f6.4. Lots of PP including Topaz DeNoise and Sharpen.

Hope you like them!

Phil

-- hide signature --
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow