Refilling Epson P5000

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 7,611
Light & time -> fading

Yes most of my prints using Injetmall (Jon Cone) inks are over 10 years old and stored in albums and have no fade at all. I ran a real world fade test with Cone vs OEM Epson inks with prints on a wall for 1 year. No fade in either........

I also conducted my own real world fade test of Cone inks. My control print was stored in the dark. My duplicate test print was placed about 18" away from a 100 watt light bulb that was on an average of more than 12 hours a day. After a few months, I left for an extended travel shoot and I placed the test print in a West facing window where it received a few hours a day of direct sunlight. After my trip the print went back next to the light bulb. After a year or so of testing I could see absolutely no difference between the test and control prints and I lost interest and stopped the experiment. Needless to say, the light intensity for the test print was many, many times harsher than typically hanging on a wall even in a bright room. In addition most framed prints would be behind glass or acrylic glazing which would greatly reduce UV exposure.

The Inkjetmall webpages also include fade data for their K3 equivalent inks. As I remember the test data showed roughly a 50 year life when hung in normal lighting even without glazing. If true archival storage is desired, the print paper and acid free storage containers can be more important than the ink. At least that is the case for pigment inks. Cheap dye inks are a whole different issue.

Obviously there are major issues of YMMV. Obviously whether / how a print is framed can make a huge difference. But just to put the data I presented into a context more familiar to most people: IIRC, the Wilhelm 'years' rating for light exposure--whose methodology differs substantially from Aardenburg's methodology in various ways--are based on an average light exposure of 450 lux for 12 hours per day, 365 days per year. At that rate, 10 years = 19.7 mega-lux hours. The figures are proportional, so e.g. the ConeColorPro inks on Epson Ultra Premium Glossy paper in an Epson R3000 ones of 11 and 15 megalux-hours would correspond to about 6 and 8 years under 'Wilhelm exposure' conditions but using the Aardenburg fading thresholds.

And again, this is for (1) noticeable fading (2) with fairly bright light exposures. And of course, glass that filters out a substantial fraction of the UV light tends to protect from fading, and AFAIK even typical ordinary window glass often does that.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow