Big issue with the Q2 with manual exposure 😬

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bcapphoto
bcapphoto Junior Member • Posts: 35
Big issue with the Q2 with manual exposure 😬

I just stumbled upon a big “uh oh” with the SL2-S I’m renting and testing, and found out that it also happens on my Q2.

Here’s the issue 👇

When I am exposing manually (with PASM exposure preview turned on), once I half-press the shutter button to focus, the exposure preview jumps to something other than what I set. This is even worse in AF-C, as it previews improper exposure until I take the picture.

So if I’m intentionally underexposing then scene, I lose the preview for this (and the ability to adjust exposure and preview it) once I focus.

Is there a way to change this? I can’t figure it out and I’ve tried everything. Or is this intentional? If so, surely it’s a bug? And a big one!

If it helps, with more detail ...

1. I set the exposure mode to manual, so I set aperture, SS and ISO.
  2. I underexpose the scene on purpose, which I can preview in the EVF/LCD.
  3. As soon as I half-press the shutter button, the exposure jumps to a "normal" exposure. Note that if my Exposure Compensation is +/- that preview when I half-press seems to represent that exposure compensation value.

The image itself is exposed properly the way I intended during #2. But if I am constantly focusing (i.e. AF-C) and need to adjust shutter speed as I am going (which happens often), then I cannot preview the effects.

This is really bad …

Video of this happening here on Dropbox (too big to upload):
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t7v9ftvh1vv27mm/AACdJl5bxDs-9rkvp47VjEzVa?dl=0

-- hide signature --

instagram.com/bcapphoto

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow